Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sorry...Did I trip you?

Every once in a while a song comes along that kicks me square in the gut...in a good way.  You know the kind.  It challenges, convicts and moves you all at once and causes you to look at yourself in a painfully real way.  The song that's done that to me all too often lately is "Jesus, Friend of Sinners" by Casting Crowns.

This song could honestly produce a blog series, given that the first line is what this blog is based on.  But we'll stick with just one line.  I had a pedicure today and don't think my toes can handle that much being stepped on.

In the opening of this song, is the line: "the world is on their way to you, but they're tripping over me."  Ouch.  How many times have I been the reason that someone else stumbled? How many times have my actions done damage to the work God is trying to do in someone's life? How many times have my judgements, my opinions, my lack of mercy, grace and compassion driven people further from Christ instead of towards him?

For me, it's all too easy to forget that God hasn't called me to save the world.  He hasn't called me to change people.  He's called me to love like Jesus loved.  He's called me reflect Jesus to the best of my ability.  He's called me to live my life in a way that points people to Him.  And to let Him handle the rest.  He's allowed me the opportunities to speak lovingly into someone's life, but not to judge or condemn.

This line in this song reminds me so beautifully that God has a plan.  And His plan works.  God has a path.  And it's often not at all what my idea of a path would be.  God wants to work.  And if I'll just stay out of His way, He'll accomplish a beautiful work.

Do I have a part in that work? Of course I do.  But it's His part, not mine.  And when I do my best to do the part He has for me, my chances of tripping someone else on their way to Him all but disappear.

No comments: