Monday, December 17, 2012

No Fear

When I was a teenager there was a popular line of clothing called No Fear. It was a pretty hot trend for a while. You'd see it on hats, shirts and all kids of other things. I'm not sure what we were supposed to have "No Fear" of, but just about everyone had something with the brand on it. After the past week's tragic massacre in Newtown, CT, fear has stricken parents all across our country. And honestly, it's gripped my heart a bit, too. As I've prayed for that community and for all of our precious children over these last few days, God has consistently reminded me of one thing: to have no fear. That's one of those things that is so much easier to say than to do. But every time I find myself drifting to a place of fear, God gently plants Isaiah 54:10 in my mind: "The mountains might shake. The hills might be removed. But my faithful love for you will never be shaken. And my covenant that promises peace to you will never be broken," says the Lord. He shows you his loving concern." Through so many different things in my life, God has used that single verse to speak peace to me. And this is another one of those times. There is so much in this world that is fully out of my control. So many things I can't protect my children from. So many unknowns in every part of my day. But God sees it all. And God promises me His peace, if I'll seek and accept it. If I choose to live with No Fear, surrendering my life and, even bigger, my children's lives to his control, He promises me peace. Peace when nothing else makes sense. Peace when the world, or my world, is turned upside down. Peace when chaos abounds. And it's a peace that no power or person on earth can take from me. When tragedy strikes, when this world just doesn't make sense, I can have peace. But it's a choice. I can choose to daily walk in fear of things that I can't control or I can choose to trust Him and have no fear. I can choose to trust Him and walk in His precious covenant of peace. Thank you, Jesus, for your sweet peace.

No comments: