Sunday, June 17, 2012

Courageous

I recently wrote about things that I want my daughter to hear, believe, know as she grows up in this world that so often misguides our girls.  (If you missed that you can read it here.)  Since writing that, I've spent a lot of time really thinking about things I want my son to know, to really take hold of.

There's a completely different set of pressures on boys today than on girls.  And so many "famous" influences delivering messages so contrary to the core values that I pray we've taught our son.  As a mom, my heart can grow so overwhelmed thinking of all that he faces.  And I think of the choices already facing some of the teenagers and young men he looks up to so much.  As I come to accept the lack of control I have over a lot of outside influences, these are the things that I hope my sweet boy keeps close to his heart.

Keep God first.  Always.  Learn how to pray.  Do it often.  About everything and anything that is important to you.  God cares about it all.  Don't just read your Bible, STUDY your Bible.  Make it an unbreakable habit.  Speak with respect to everyone.  Learn compassion.  You don't have to be THE best, as long as you do YOUR best.  Choose your friends wisely.  They will make or break you in life.  Don't compare yourself to anyone else.  Don't try to be like anyone else.  God made YOU to be YOU, not a cheap knockoff of someone else.  When you're ready to start dating (although I'm in complete denial that this will ever happen), choose a girl who respects herself.  And respects her parents.  Choose a girl who makes God as much or more of a priority in her life as you do.  Pray together.  Not just over a meal.  Treat her with respect and honor.  Accept and believe that God has an amazing plan for your life.  It's a great plan.  It's the best plan.  Follow it, pursue it, chase it passionately.  You will do great things in life.  No matter how much or how little money you have, be generous.  Lead well.  Be courageous in your faith.  It takes more courage to do what's right than to follow the crowd.  BE courageous.

The greatest blessing, the greatest challenge and greatest responsibility I have in this life is being a mom.  Not gonna lie that it's a little intimidating and overwhelming sometimes.  But as I've learned raising my sweet boy (and little miss), especially this last year, he was God's first.  God has great plans for him.  If I work to instill these things in him and lead by example, God will take care of the rest.  And he will be courageous.

No comments: