Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's About Time

I'm learning a lot about parenting lately.  And I tend to learn the most from my kids.  Sometimes I think I'm the one being "parented".  I've been blessed to have my schedule change recently to allow more time with my family.  Little did I know that on day one of this new schedule, my daughter would have a lesson for me.

We were set to have a girly morning.  My son was at baseball camp with a friend, so breakfast at a girly restaurant, a hair appointment and a nail appointment were on my sweet girl's agenda.  We did all of those things and had a great morning.  After getting lunch and heading back towards home, I asked what her favorite part of the day was.  Her answer was beautifully unexpected. "Spending time with you, mommy." My heart melted instantly.  I got more than just a little teary eyed.  It wasn't what we did, it was just that we did.  The value came just from the time spent.  Sure, she enjoyed the things we did, but that's not how she measured the value.

I think our relationship with God is often like this.  We get busy.  We get distracted.  We lose focus.  And then we re-prioritize.  And with that, we go to church 5 times in one week, pray for everyone we've ever met, volunteer to help in the church nursery...all in an attempt for our actions to show God that we plan on getting it right this time.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with any of those things.  But so often we get wrapped up in what we do, that we forget that all God wants is our time.  He just wants our sincere prayers for the things weighing heaviest on our hearts...not empty words in lengthy, King James version prayers.  He wants our fully engaged, heartfelt worship in one church service...over the going-through-the-motions, attend-everything-but-get-nothing-out-of-it attendance.  He wants us to know who we are in Him and serve others through that...not tolerate the dirty diapers because it's what a "good" Christian does.

God doesn't want (or need) our grand gestures.  He just wants us to spend time with Him.  Genuine, quality time.  He doesn't measure it so much by the what, but by the time, by the heart.  Just like my daughter melted my heart with her value of our time together, we touch the Father's heart when we spend time with him.

No comments: